Sustainability & Environment
DaVinci Roofscapes, Sustainable Start to Finish
At DaVinci Roofscapes we compound, mold and finish lightweight tiles in our own Lenexa, Kansas facility to save energy and transportation costs. We use virgin resins in our roof tiles to guarantee a sustainable product. Any materials that fail to meet finished specs are recycled for use in our starter tiles. And of course, every DaVinci tile is 100% recyclable.
We also understand that endurance and low life cycle costs are the keys to sustainable design. Roofs needing frequent maintenance and replacement after only 15-20 years consume valuable energy and resources from manufacturing through removal and disposal, and they increase landfill problems. DaVinci Slate and Shake roofs are virtually maintenance-free and backed by a Lifetime Limited Material Warranty.
Tops Wood, Slate and Asphalt
Every time someone chooses a DaVinci roof over wood shakes, trees are saved - often young growth cedars that are difficult to harvest, produce low-quality shingles and further deplete our limited resources. DaVinci Shakes also offer a Class A fire rating.
Natural slate roofs present other problems. The quarrying process consumes large amounts of labor and fuel and can be harmful to the local ecosystem. Up to 15% of natural slate tiles also crack or break up during installation so waste is significant. Because DaVinci tiles weigh one-third as much as natural slate of comparable thickness, transportation energy costs and carbon emissions are lower.
Asphalt roof shingles require much more oil to produce than DaVinci products. The petroleum content in our products is a by-product of gasoline refinement - one that in the past was simply burned off. And compared to an asphalt roof that has to be replaced two to three times as often, DaVinci roofs contribute less to landfills and use less of the earth's resources.
LEED - We Make Sustainable Attainable
Contribute to the LEED® Certification Process
DaVinci Slate and Shake synthetic roof tiles can make a valuable contribution to the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certification Process (LEED-NC Standard 2.2), which encourages and accelerates global adoption of sustainable building and development practices. Here's how:
SS 7.2 – Heat Island Effect, Roof: Reduce heat islands to minimize impact on microclimate and human and wildlife habitat. Cool Weathered Gray blend meets an SRI of >29. (1 point)
WE 1.1-1.2 – Water Efficient Landscaping: Products work well with captured rain systems for reduction in potable water. (1-2 points)
Materials and Resources
MR 2.1- 2.2 – Construction Waste Management: Divert 50-75% from Landfill. (1-2 points)
MR 3.1-3.2 – Resource Reuse 5-10%: If product is removed carefully, they can be reused. (1-2 points)
MR 5.1-5.2 – Regional Materials: Products manufactured in Lenexa, KS – Projects within 500 miles of plant. (1-2 points)
Cool Roof Rating Council Rated
DaVinci EcoBlend® tiles reflect sunlight and heat away from the home. Higher emissivity and reflectivity rates lead to greater reductions in the cooling load and, in return, increase energy efficiency. Less air pollution contributes to the reduction of heat islands around cities and populous areas.
DaVinci EcoBlend tiles have earned the designation as an ENERGY STAR® Qualified Product. The qualified colors include EcoBlend Weathered Gray (in Medium, Medium Light, Medium Dark, Light and Dark) and EcoBlend Gray (in Dark, Light and Medium).
Scraps and cuttings from a project may be returned to our plant for recycling, as well as, the tiles after the life expectancy (50 years) of the roof. The tiles will be recycled keeping waste from the landfill.
At DaVinci Roofscapes we manufacture tiles with engineered polymer, organic fire retardants and inorganic pigments that are safe for the environment. Any materials that fail to meet finished specs are re-purposed as starter tiles. All DaVinci tiles are 100% recyclable.
DaVinci tiles must be returned to the manufacturing plant in Lenexa, KS, to be recycled. Two programs are offered to recycle DaVinci tiles:
Program #1: Waste from a job site
- Scraps and cuttings from a project may be returned to our plant in Lenexa, KS; the cuttings can be recycled keeping waste from the landfill. Only tiles or scraps clean of nails or other roofing accessories will be accepted.
- Job sites within 500 miles of Lenexa, KS will be returned free of charge. All other locations must schedule and pay for freight to DaVinci in order to recycle.
Program #2: Expired Tiles
After the life expectancy (50 years) of the roof DaVinci tiles may be returned to the manufacturing plant.
- Tiles must be clean of nails or other roofing accessories to be accepted.
- Job sites within 500 miles of Lenexa, KS will be returned free of charge. All other locations must schedule freight to DaVinci in order to recycle.
How to return tile scraps:
• Prior to the job shipping you should inform your DaVinci Inside Sales Representative that you would like to participate in the recycling program.
• DaVinci will send boxes with the order that should be used to return tiles and scraps clean of nails and other debris.
• If job site is within 500 miles of Lenexa, KS DaVinci will send prepaid FedEx Ground labels to return scraps (limit 4 boxes). If job site lies outside of the 500 mile radius you are responsible for scheduling and paying for shipment to the DaVinci plant.
How to return expired tiles:
Contact DaVinci Roofscapes, 800-328-4624, to schedule return.