Roofer Shakes Up Home
Dr. Brad Cory likes to shake things up a bit. That’s why, when his customer decided on DaVinci Single-Width Shake tiles for his roof, he talked him into a smart upgrade—for free!
“When I saw the look of the recently released DaVinci Select Shake product, I knew it would look great on this home,” says Cory, owner of Pinnacle Roofing in Omaha. “The Select Shake composite roofing is so realistic that we just had to make the upgrade.”
The multi-width DaVinci Select Shakes resemble a traditional cedar shake look, and were made from natural wood profiles. Available in eight- and 10-inch widths, each DaVinci Select Shake tile is 22-inches long and has a 5/8-inch thickness. The 10-inch wide Select Shake pieces have a simulated keyway to give the appearance of four- and six-inch width shakes placed together.
Homeowner Mike Goldstein appreciates the advice from Cory, and the new Select Shake roof on his home.
“Brad and his team are some of the best contractors I’ve ever worked with,” says Goldstein, who has a home in Omaha, Neb. “They were prompt. They worked hard through a stretch of brutal heat. And, when the inevitable glitches occurred, they took care of them promptly.”
“The result is that the Select Shake looks great on our roof. It’s a complete transformation from our old, deteriorating real shake shingles.”
Upgrade with Composite Shake
When Goldstein’s family moved into their home in 1995, they knew the home needed a new roof. So, they installed a real shake roof in 1996.
Fast-forward to 2019. The 23-year-old roof was weathering and aging. Some of the shakes were fading and cracking; others had moss growing on them. Then, a bad hail storm hit the neighborhood. It was the last straw.
“Some of our friends and neighbors have DaVinci roofs and like them,” says Goldstein. “Brad strongly recommended the product and we’re glad he did!
“The new composite shake looks very realistic … like when we first had the real cedar shakes installed. Some of the homes in our neighborhood still have real shake shingles. Those homes simply look messy. We’re absolutely thrilled with how the new composite shakes have given our home a new, improved look.”
Farewell to Real Cedar Shakes
From Cory’s perspective, the previous roof on Goldstein’s home was in poor condition, and definitely in need of replacement.
“Mike’s right. The hail storm was the last straw for his roof,” says Cory. “We have a good familiarity with the DaVinci brand. The products really look good on a home, they’re easy to order and the turnaround time is good. Plus, they’re impact-resistant, which will give Mike and his family greater peace-of-mind.”
Roofer Handles Installation Challenges
Once the Pinnacle Roofing team started the project, they dealt with several challenges along the way. Here’s how Cory defines them:
- Due to the height and pitch of the roof, a 40-foot-tall telehandler was used. This allowed roofing tiles to be brought up on the front side of the home.
- The steep roof has a 9/12 pitch on the front, with three dormers. The installers used four rows of ice and water shield to get up past the dormers.
- There’s a large flat roof section on the back elevation. Pinnacle Roofing crew members had to tie into that area with the Select Shake. They used extra ice and water shield to overlap the layers so water would not get under the flat roof.
- On the back, there is a slope with a 4/12 pitch. The team added ice and water shield on the entire slope. And, they used split felt in various sections to ensure there would be no leaking.
- There were some challenges on the gable cornice returns. Some of the composite shingles cut on the hip and ridge had a gap that was visible. To solve that challenge the crew removed the bottom shingle and installed a full piece that was not cut on the front. This gave a cleaner appearance.
“We install about five DaVinci roofs each year,” says Cory. “This company has the best installation guide imaginable, plus the service help is outstanding. For this project, and many others we tackle, we’re always happy to recommend DaVinci products.”